Poster Design by Katherine Marsh

The Southwestern Review Blog is a unified voice of the Univerisity of Louisiana of Lafayette community of creative artists. Are you a part of the UL community?
E-mail us your work! southwesternreview@gmail.com

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Number 3528967


Confined to the smallest space
Only theses 4 walls I see everyday
And a small window they peak into every now and then
They see all of us just the same
I was a battered woman who snapped one day
And I ultimately took my husband life away
But the lady next to me decided she didn’t want to be a mother any more
But all they recognized us is as numbers
All of us have the same mentality
A menace to society
An endangerment to our environment
Never analyzing the situation differently
I’m just number 3528967
All because I was stuck with a lawyer who was working with the DA
A public defender who couldn’t even remember my name
And a jury who didn’t give a damn if I dropped dead that exact day
I was handcuffed the last time I seen my kids face
I couldn’t hug ‘em, couldn’t kiss ‘em
The last thing I told them was I love ‘em
Now I’m lose in the system
Just number 3528967
Doing life in the penitentiary
I no longer have an identity
No name and everybody share the same face
Being told when to eat, when to sleep
I’m no longer a writer, but a murderer
I’m no longer Paris, but number 3528967



By: Paris Shampagne

No comments:

Post a Comment