Poster Design by Katherine Marsh

The Southwestern Review Blog is a unified voice of the Univerisity of Louisiana of Lafayette community of creative artists. Are you a part of the UL community?
E-mail us your work! southwesternreview@gmail.com

Friday, February 17, 2012

I Know Why the Rainbow Shines


It seemed like all of Tampa walked together
to hear the words from a great. I sent it to the TBT and they published it a couple of days later)

The meter maids were busy writing tickets
for the overzealous drivers,
too impatient to wait for proper parking spots

The line beamed down the sidewalk

Every type of person comprised the arching line
every color
every age
Illuminated with eagerness and excitement

The first sound I heard of Maya Angelou
was a one-syllable high pitched laugh.
The crowd roars with laughter at her humble humor

The tone was set for the evening.

Emanating from her was an aura of experience
Of generosity
Of success

Her elegant demeanor and obvious intellect was accented
by her bold speech
filling our minds with an everlasting image:

"Be a rainbow in somebody's cloud," she said

After tho tell the world that I saw Maya Angelou
I saw history
I saw devotion
I saw persistence
I saw brilliance

I want to illuminate the world
I want to be a rainbow ine standing ovation,
I walked to my car inspired
Ready tsomebody's cloud

Thank you, Maya Angelou
Now I know why the rainbow shines

By- Katherine Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment